Although the economy is strong, inflation is low and there are many opportunities for financial growth, there are times when some American families need a little help with their basic needs.
So, in today’s article, you can find out more about these possibilities and how to apply for them if you need to.
Find out what TANF is and how to apply for it
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families social proThe gram, known by its acronym TANF, basically boils down to providing a benefit through an initiative of the US federal government, aimed at the well-being of families living in situations of socioeconomic vulnerability.
As such, this benefit meets its users’ needs for food, housing, energy, childcare and professional training. Its administration is decentralized, in the hands of each state.
To find out if you’re eligible, you’ll need to find the TANF office in your specific state, which you can do through the link https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ofa/map/about/help-families. By contacting them, you will also be able to answer any questions you may have about the rules of participation in order to qualify for financial aid. At the same time, you can also check out other social programs and benefits for which you may be eligible.
When a family becomes a beneficiary, they receive a debit card; at other times, they receive their benefit in paper checks. If the resource is made available electronically, you should pay attention to the following information:
- Always check the receipt from the store where you bought your TANF card, as many of them tell you how much money is available on it;
- When you contact the office mentioned, ask if you can download the mobile app in your state, which will help you operate your benefit and always check your balance to spend;
- Pay attention to the telephone number on the back of your card for questions or any other situation.
It is also worth noting that if fraud has occurred with your benefit, you can also file a complaint with the office responsible.
Other family social benefits in the United States
As this is a country where administration is decentralized, benefits and their rules often change from state to state, depending on employment status and monthly family income. However, in general, if you’re an American citizen, these are the ones you’ll find below, in addition to today’s main topic, which is the TANF benefit:
- Social Security: this is an opportunity provided by a federal program for retirement benefits;
- Medicare: this, on the other hand, serves the health tripod of American citizens, providing medical assistance to people aged 65 and over, or younger if they are disabled;
- Medicaid: a medical assistance program for low-income individuals, thus covering their health costs;
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): food assistance for socioeconomically vulnerable families;
- Special Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC): also a food security benefit, aimed at the nutritional status of pregnant women, nursing mothers and children, also low-income;
- Child Tax Credit: for families with people under the age of 17;
- Family and Medical Leave Act: unpaid leave of 12 weeks to care for a newborn baby, adopt a child or in emergency cases of family health.
However, it’s still very important to keep an eye on the US government’s website at https://www.usa.gov/, as the rules and information on these benefits can change from time to time. You can also contact a social services professional or the government’s own agencies in person to find out more and answer any questions you may have.
Finally, if you’ve made it this far, you can see that the vast majority of social programs are aimed at the low-income public, right? However, it’s also worth pointing out that just like in other countries, through personalized social assistance with a professional, you can receive guidance on your rights and end up finding one that suits your specific case. It doesn’t cost anything to try and you’re getting free or much cheaper benefits for your benefit.
The United States also has a huge range of private initiatives. Notably, American civil society is very involved in social affairs and these have their own rules and criteria for approval. So hurry up and check out the ones in your area.